[U-Boot] SoC specific driver changes through other custodian's trees?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Feb 21 13:53:04 CET 2011

Dear Reinhard Meyer,

In message <4D624A5E.30105 at emk-elektronik.de> you wrote:

> > Please, provide a separate patch for changes in the OHCI drivers.
> > They need to go to the u-boot-usb tree.
> Apart from the fact that no change is required here..
>
> I don't think it would make sense to let ATMEL specific driver patches
> (serial, net, usb, spi, etc.) go through different trees as long as they do
> not change common files there (Makefile, general header files etc.).

We split responsibilities (and repositories) by topics.  Indeed USB
stuff should go through the USB repository. Similar, network stuff
should go through the network tree. I2C stuff goes through the I2C
repo, etc.

> For the rework effort, it would separate changes to files that inherently must be
> applied together, like changing header files in arch-at91/avr32 and the required
> adaptions to the atmel drivers.

Then your patches need to split in an orthogonal way.

> It is natural, of course, that each custodian should have a look at the patch involving
> their architecture or field and possibly add an "Acked-By:" to it.

Just "having a look" is cartainly not sufficient.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Marriage is the triumph  of  imagination  over  intelligence.  Second
marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.