[U-Boot] SoC specific driver changes through other custodian's trees?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Feb 21 14:52:18 CET 2011

Dear Reinhard Meyer,

In message <4D626A18.7030201 at emk-elektronik.de> you wrote:

> I'm not sure what that means, but the rework effort won't work when not all
> required changes are in one tree. And how would, for example, the NET
> custodian verify a patch when it would not even build when the rework changes
> to ATMEL header files are not in his tree?

Normally you do the core first, so it builds, then add the network and
USB and ...

On a patch series you can try Cc: each patch of a seris to a different
list of people.  You are supposed to include the respective custodian.

> On another note: If I am supposed to be responsible fot ATMEL stuff, that includes
> IMHO also the drivers that are purely ATMEL specific.

Stuff that affects other areas as well need at least the ACK from the
respective custodian.  You can ask him for his ACK to take it through
your tree, but this requires his explicit agreement and must not taken
for granted.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Mistakes are often the stepping stones to utter failure.