[U-Boot] organizing doc/ dir?

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Wed Feb 23 07:36:45 CET 2011

Hi Kumar and others,

Le 23/02/2011 07:02, Kumar Gala a écrit :
> Wolfgang,
>
> Any issue that added a little hierarchy to the doc/ dir?
>
> maybe something mimic board/

I would tend to agree wholeheartedly to the idea, if only because /doc
currently contains 154 files, which meakes it not that easy to sort
things out.

But why limit oneself to boards? U-Boot has a structured arch/ dir as
well, and lib/ also, to name only some. Structuring /doc after these as
well would be quite useful as:

- only general U-Boot doc files would reside directly under /doc, making
it easier for beginners to grasp U-boot essentials (and for seasoned
users to brush up their knowledge) -- for instance, the rationales for
U-Boot such as the recently discussed float issue could be made much
more visible by being one of a few files in /doc itself;

- arch-related files under /doc/arch (including a rationale file
explaining how /arch itself is organized) and arch-specific files under
/doc/arch/<arch> -- /doc/arch/arm would hold all ARM related stuff; that
would make arch, cpu, SoC specific information easier to locate;

- lib-related files in /doc/lib to better explain and document the "as
much of libc behavior as needed but no more" approach;

- possibly even on a far further future, automated doc generation from
code annotations would help keeping the doc up-to-date and benefit from
/doc mimicking the source code tree structure -- but granted, it may not
be that easy to find where in the code some of what /doc contains now
should go.

... and I'm certainly missing other benefits.

So yes, I would second a /doc reorg beyond a mere /doc/boards creation.

Amicalement,
--
Albert.