[U-Boot] Info on NAND-SPL

Hatim Ali rvhatim at yahoo.co.in
Sat Feb 26 12:34:05 CET 2011

Hello,

I was trying to understand how NAND-SPL works. What I could understand after seeing the code is that
1) NAND-SPL is a standalone application which will load the U-boot in the main memory.
2) After doing the clock and DRAM initialization it will relocate itself in the DRAM.
3) Then it will copy the u-boot from the nand into the RAM and execute the u-boot.

If my understanding is proper, then I have one doubt
1) Since the nand_spl is making use of the same Start.S and lowlevel_init.S, the u-boot code will also perform relocation? So is it not a overhead doing relocation twice?

Also is there any similar implementation for MMC-SPL?

Thanks
Hatim