[U-Boot] question: multiple serial

ran shalit ranshalit at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 19:27:57 CET 2011

Stefano Babic wrote:

> On 02/24/2011 09:53 PM, Ran Shalit wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I try to understand what is the right way in U-Boot to configure multiple
>> serials.
>
> That is correct.
>
>> I use in my board more 3 UART's , one of them is the console.
>> Should I define config_serial_multi ?
>
> Yes
>
>> when I did try to do so, I got
>> "#error No default console" though UART2 is defined as console. Could it
>> be
>> that da850evm does not support configuration of multiple serials ?
>
> The da850evm uses the NS16550 driver, and multiple uarts are supported.
> It seems to me you have not set CONFIG_CONS_INDEX in your config file.
>
> Best regards,
> Stefano Babic
>
> --

Hello Stafno,

Thank you for the reply.
The strange thing is that although the OMAP L138 have the ability for using
more then one UART, it seems that in the u-boot, it is not well supported:
Only if I add in /common/serial.c the following line:
line 45: || defined (CONFIG_MACH_DAVINCI_DA850EVM), and same include in
/common/serial.h
then compiler error is solved. it is as if this file support several cpu's
but the OMAP is not one of them. Is It correct to add this flags in order to
support multiple serials in OMAP L138 EVM ? I tried to ask in TI forum, but
got no reply yet.

Thank you very much,

Ran