[U-Boot] Blackfin: cmd_gpio port/pin naming

Andreas Pretzsch apr at cn-eng.de
Mon Jan 10 18:00:38 CET 2011

Am Montag, den 10.01.2011, 11:28 -0500 schrieb Mike Frysinger:
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Andreas Pretzsch wrote:
> > As your code already uses the Linux GPIO conventions and naming (without
> > the gpio_chip stuff, which is not necessary for a bootloader IMHO), it'd
> > be a solid base for that.
> >
> > Mr. Denk, are there any plans for a generic GPIO layer in U-Boot ?
>
> if we arent supporting gpio_chips, then there really isnt much need
> for common GPIO code.  there is already a generic GPIO layer in U-Boot
> just like in Linux -- include asm/gpio.h and use the normal gpio_xxx
> set of functions.

Well, partly. True for Blackfin and a few ARM/AVR32/NIOS2, albeit the
latter have a mixture of specific names like at91_get_gpio_value(),
pin_to_controller(), kw_gpio_get_value(), etc.

Therefore unifying them to common names and syntax would be the first
step. Of course, the gpio_chip approach of Linux is the cleaner way,
adding only a few extra bytes of code/ram. I'm fine with both.
As time permits, I'm willing to help here.

--

carpe noctem engineering
Ingenieurbuero fuer Hard- & Software-Entwicklung Andreas Pretzsch
89073 Ulm, Germany                        email: apr at cn-eng.de