[U-Boot] U-Boot on IMX.51 EVK

Thomas Besemer thomas.besemer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 03:02:26 CET 2011

Hi Group -

I am working with the imx.51 on the Freescale EVK.  Up to this point, have
been working with the version of U-Boot (and Kernel) from the Freescale web
site; the SDK which is LTIB based.  Pretty stale stuff; U-Boot is rather old
(8/2009), as with Kernel (2.6.31).

I pulled U-Boot before Christmas, got this version:

  [tbesemer at t4linux1 u-boot]$ git describe
  v2010.12-82-gcdc51c2

Main interest being the IPU code, so I can do a Splash Screen. Compiles
fine, boots fine on EVK, but I can't get it to boot my old Kernel; I put my
own command line stuff in place, which is pulling kernel from a known offset
in SD card:

  mmc read 0 ${loadaddr} 0x800 0x1800;bootm

Kernel loads, but hangs on start (shows that U-Boot found it, parsed
header).  Passes CRC.  Have not looked into issue further.  My Kernel
command line all the same; what I did was take the default boot parameters
from existing U-Boot and put them into current U-Boot, re-compile.
${loadaddr} same from before, same as what is in current U-Boot.

A couple of comments/questions:

  - Is above version of U-Boot known to work on EVK?  It appears that this
version supports DOS partitions on SD card, and default command line is to
load from those.  But, I can't find any documentation on how to partition
the SD card to try this.  Help on how to set up the SD card appreciated.

  - Should above "raw" load from SD work?  Probably my preference, but have
an open mind.  My Root FS is on two partitions that U-Boot does not need to
know about; one is primary/recovery, one is working copy on release.

  - The Freescale supplied SDK applies over 100 patches to the 8/09 release
of U-Boot; wondering how many made it into current version of U-Boot, and
how much I should care.

  - I pulled the 2.6.37 Kernel from kernel.org to maybe try that with
current U-Boot, but it doesn't seem to have IPU support, so not viable on my
end.  Might be willing to pull IPU code into Kernel from 2.6.31->2.6.37 to
get it current, but outside scope of this mailing list.

End game:

  - Get the Splash Screen working on imx.51 EVK.  I will provide patch set
back to mailing list once I do.  I will derive from vision2 board.

  - Get it to boot old 2.6.31 SDK supplied Kernel (which also has a bunch of
Freescale patches that don't seem to have made it into kernel.org).

Any help on this appreciated; I will be more than happy to provide patch set
work for anything I do for EVK back to this list for evaluation and
incorporation.

Thanks,

tom