[U-Boot] new board with common code

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Jan 14 12:39:31 CET 2011

Dear Fabian Cenedese,

In message <5.2.0.9.1.20110114115035.036b5778 at localhost> you wrote:

> I'm adding a new board. It's very similar to freescale's P2020DS, that's
> why I used this code as starting point. The problem is now that it still
> uses some code from board/freescale/common. At the first try this
> didn't get built and therefore I get link errors. What's the preferred
> way in this case?
>
> - Is it allowed to use sources inside another board/vendor?

It is allowed, but not recommended. You are running the risk that the
board vendor may make arbitrary changes to his board code, which may
work fine for him, but break your board.  And you cannot even blame
him, because he probably is not even aware that this code gets used by
others who rely on it.

It is recommended to move such code to a common directory.

> - Is it better to link to it or should I just copy the files into our
>   vendor or board directory?

Please do not copy any files.  Duplication of code is the worst that
can be done in such a szenario.

> - If it's okay to link to objects from another place, how can I
>   adjust the makefiles/config.mk so the freescale's common
>   lib is built as well? I know makefiles but u-boot is quite high
>   level usage.

Before we go into details we should define a strategy.  Can you please
be specific: which exact files are you talking about?

Then we can dicuss with the Freescale guys how to handle this
situation.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Logic and practical information do not seem to apply here."
"You admit that?"
"To deny the facts would be illogical, Doctor"
	-- Spock and McCoy, "A Piece of the Action", stardate unknown