[U-Boot] new board with common code

Fabian Cenedese Cenedese at indel.ch
Fri Jan 14 17:12:35 CET 2011

>> I'm adding a new board. It's very similar to freescale's P2020DS, that's
>> why I used this code as starting point. The problem is now that it still
>> uses some code from board/freescale/common. At the first try this
>> didn't get built and therefore I get link errors. What's the preferred
>> way in this case?
>>
>> - Is it allowed to use sources inside another board/vendor?
>
>It is allowed, but not recommended. You are running the risk that the
>board vendor may make arbitrary changes to his board code, which may
>work fine for him, but break your board.  And you cannot even blame
>him, because he probably is not even aware that this code gets used by
>others who rely on it.
>
>It is recommended to move such code to a common directory.
>
>> - Is it better to link to it or should I just copy the files into our
>>   vendor or board directory?
>
>Please do not copy any files.  Duplication of code is the worst that
>can be done in such a szenario.
>
>> - If it's okay to link to objects from another place, how can I
>>   adjust the makefiles/config.mk so the freescale's common
>>   lib is built as well? I know makefiles but u-boot is quite high
>>   level usage.
>
>Before we go into details we should define a strategy.  Can you please
>be specific: which exact files are you talking about?

One thing was pixis, but as we don't have that FPGA I could remove
all references to it. Also missing was the eeprom so I got a link
error for mac_read_from_eeprom. We mainly want to use U-Boot
to initialize the CPU and DRAM. As this is a PCIe-card for the PC
we can then download all other things we need. So I could also
remove the EEPROM support.

I cleaned the config file up and removed things we don't have. I can
now build for my board without using anything from freescale/common,
so the problem is solved for now. I will think about it if we need to add
something and the error comes up again.

Thanks for your help.

bye  Fabi