[U-Boot] Coding Style question

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jan 18 20:50:06 CET 2011

Dear Kumar Gala,

In message <3D755410-9073-43DE-B772-D5649ED96294 at kernel.crashing.org> you wrote:
> In a header define register fields we have something like:
>
> > +#define CSOR_NAND_TRHZ_MASK		0x0000001C  /* Time for Read Enable
> > +						       High to Output High
> > +						       Impedance */
>
> Is this multiple line comment style ok - since we are dealing with line wrap ?

I dislike it, and always try hard to avoind things like this.
It would probably better to write instead

	/* Time for Read Enable High to Output High Impedance */
	#define CSOR_NAND_TRHZ_MASK	0x0000001C

Note that I have even seen compilers (some time ago, admitted) where
such code would cause build errors (that version of the compiler
would 1) insert "0x0000001C  /* Time for Read Enable" for
CSOR_NAND_TRHZ_MASK and 2) barf loudly about a lot of unterminated and
one un-opened comments).

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
I'm frequently appalled by the low regard you Earthmen have for life.
	-- Spock, "The Galileo Seven", stardate 2822.3