[U-Boot] environmental "baudrate" not used at boot up

chrisv at cyberswitching.com chrisv at cyberswitching.com
Wed Jan 19 15:46:40 CET 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 07:59:10AM +0100, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> > Based on empirical testing, I've discovered that re-running
> > init_baudrate() after env_relocate() fixes everything.  The serial
> > console uses the baud rate stored in the "baudrate" variable now, and
> > some ordering of display outputs needs to be tweaked so that gibberish
> > isn't output in the interim.
>
> You have diagnosed where the problem is, but you come to the wrong
> conclusions and instead of fixing the problem you paint over it.
>
> Obviously  getenv_r("baudrate")  is not returning the right value for
> you.
>
> You should first check, what exactly it returns.
>
> Then you should check why it is not reading the correct data, as it is
> supposed to do.
>
> Then you should fix _that_ problem.

Thanks for the feedback.  I hope that someone else can continue this
work now that I've identified the problem and have developed a solution
that works for my needs with no obvious side-effects.

Given that this is such base functionality, I'm surprised that no one
else has mentioned anything up to this point; I guess no one else
attempts to change the baud rate for subsequent reboots?  (Rhetorical,
no need to answer.)

All the best with the upcoming release,

Chris