[U-Boot] USB storage performance EHCI question - ext2fs performance

Aaron Williams Aaron.Williams at caviumnetworks.com
Fri Jan 21 01:05:54 CET 2011

I  now have some more information on the performance issue. It appears to be
filesystem related. If I format the drive as FAT32 I am getting a transfer
rate of approximately 10MB/second. However, if I format it as ext3 I am seeing
a transfer rate of only  101KB/second!  The only difference is the filesystem
and both are clean filesystems.

I formatted the drive with:

mkfs.ext3 -j -L iomega -O dir_index,has_journal,large_file -t ext3 -v
/dev/sdc1

mke2fs 1.41.11 (14-Mar-2010)
fs_types for mke2fs.conf resolution: 'ext3', 'default'
Calling BLKDISCARD from 0 to 1014095872 failed.
Filesystem label=iomega
OS type: Linux
Block size=4096 (log=2)
Fragment size=4096 (log=2)
Stride=0 blocks, Stripe width=0 blocks
61952 inodes, 247582 blocks
12379 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=0
Maximum filesystem blocks=255852544
8 block groups
32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group
7744 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
        32768, 98304, 163840, 229376

Writing inode tables: done
Creating journal (4096 blocks): done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done

This filesystem will be automatically checked every 35 mounts or
180 days, whichever comes first.  Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.

-Aaron