[U-Boot] U-Boot support for board(s) meesc, otc570

Daniel Gorsulowski Daniel.Gorsulowski at esd.eu
Fri Jan 21 12:17:57 CET 2011

Hello Reinhard,

Reinhard Meyer wrote:
> Dear Daniel Gorsulowski,
>> Today I found out by GPIO debugging, that U-Boot seems to boot but prints
>> its startup messages to wrong USART with proper baudrate. I'll try to
>> find out, why there is no output on DBGU.
>
> Note that the USART to use is defined differently than before:
>
> /* serial console */
> #define CONFIG_ATMEL_USART
> #define CONFIG_USART_BASE		ATMEL_BASE_DBGU
> #define	CONFIG_USART_ID			ATMEL_ID_SYS
> #define CONFIG_BAUDRATE			115200
> #define CONFIG_SYS_BAUDRATE_TABLE	{115200 , 19200, 38400, 57600, 9600 }

I did so, see http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2011-January/085863.html

But I'm a little bit confused. In the past, USART_ID was defined by '3',
if DBGU was used. Now, USART_ID is replaced by CONFIG_USART_ID, which is
defined by ATMEL_ID_SYS, which is defined by '1'.
However, this discrepancy does not matter, because CONFIG_USART_ID is
only used once in drivers/serial/atmel_usart.c, line 57:
usart_hz = get_usart_clk_rate(USART_ID);
And get_usart_clk_rate(); ignores its parameter. See
arch/arm/include/asm/arch-at91/clk.h
static inline unsigned long get_usart_clk_rate(unsigned int dev_id)
{
        return get_mck_clk_rate();
}
(all other functions in clk.h act similar. I think, a rework would be
advisable?)

Back to the problem...
In my opinion, my USART configuration is correct. I still have no idea,
why there is no output on DBGU.

> Best Regards,
> Reinhard

Regards,