[U-Boot] U-Boot v2010.12 released - Merge Window OPEN

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jan 26 10:19:20 CET 2011

Dear Alexander Holler,

In message <4D3FD89D.7000509 at ahsoftware.de> you wrote:

> > Removing is simple, and the only proven way to clean up old mess.
> > I see no reason to keep dead, unmaintained code in U-Boot for too
> > long.
>
> The question is the timeframe. I think when many of these boards will
> get removed with the next release, that's a bit short. Finding the stuff
> which doesn't work through the relocation is time consuming and people
> have to find the time to do this for older boards for which they
> currently don't actively develop. E.g for some of the boards under
> active development it has needed the last 3 month.

I'm not sure what exactly the goal is that you are tying to reach by
this discussion.

If anybody wants to prevent the removal of a specific board, but has
no time or ressources to work on it right now, then he can of course
just speak up and ask that we not remove the code now.  This is
absolutely no problem.  But we need to know that somebody feels
responsible, and what the expected time frame for his fixes will be.

On the otherhand, if there is zero interest visible for some board,
then what would be the rationale to keep it any longer?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Steal five dollars and you were a petty  thief.  Steal  thousands  of
dollars and you are either a government or a hero.
                                   - Terry Pratchett, _Going_Postal_