[U-Boot] calling pci_init before relocation?

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Sun Jan 30 23:07:09 CET 2011

Hi Michael,

Le 30/01/2011 22:39, Michael Schwingen a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> ist it allowed to call pci_init before relocation?
>
> The code looks like this is not supposed to happen. However, on ARM,
> arm_pci_init (which calls pci_init in turn) is called from
> init_sequence, which happens before relocation.
>
> Am I overlooking some way in which this can actually work? Are there
> boards using this?
>
> If I move pci_init down into board_init_r, I can get PCI working on
> IXP42x, but I am worried if this will cause problems on other boards.

I cannot see a reason why pci_init should not work before relocation as
long as it does not read or write BSS variables or write non-const
initialized data -- or overflow the (admittedly limited) C stack.

Are you asking because you discovered that pci_init does not work when
called from board_init_f? If so, did you determine exactly what goes wrong?

> cu
> Michael

Amicalement,
--