[U-Boot] calling pci_init before relocation?

Michael Schwingen rincewind at discworld.dascon.de
Mon Jan 31 10:45:26 CET 2011

Albert ARIBAUD wrote:
> Le 30/01/2011 23:46, Michael Schwingen a écrit :
>> Am 01/30/2011 11:07 PM, schrieb Albert ARIBAUD:
>>> Hi Michael,

>>> I cannot see a reason why pci_init should not work before relocation as
>>> long as it does not read or write BSS variables or write non-const
>>> initialized data -- or overflow the (admittedly limited) C stack.
>> Because it does just that - from drivers/pci/pci.c:
>>
>> static struct pci_controller* hose_head;
>>
>> void pci_init(void)
>> {
>> [...]
>>      hose_head = NULL;
>>
>>      /* now call board specific pci_init()... */
>>      pci_init_board();
>> }
>>
>> pci_init_board will then call code that ends up calling
>> pci_register_hose, which adds elements into the list at hose_head.
>
> Tough luck -- BTW, how does this code allocate the memory? The heap is
> obviously not going to work before relocation.
The new hose pointer is passed into that function - the calling code
would have to either malloc that, or use a static struct (as it is done
on IXP, because there is only one PCI bus). Both will fail before
relocation - the hose structure would have to be embedded into the
global data struct.

>>> Are you asking because you discovered that pci_init does not work when
>>> called from board_init_f? If so, did you determine exactly what goes
>>> wrong?
>> The system hangs during early init, and does not get past relocation.
>>
>> Note that I can only *test* PCI on IXP42x, however, this is common code,
>> so I do not see how this could behave different on other ARM systems.
>>
>> If I interpret the code correct, the PCI code is called from
>> board_init_r on PowerPC platforms.
>
> Hmm... Now let's reverse the question: why should PCI be initialized
> before relocation? At this point the only goal of the init_board_f
> code is to get the RAM working for relocation, and the only useful
> device is the serial console. Does pci_init() help for either RAM or
> console?
I don't see a reason to do that - my vote would be to do the PCI
initialization after relocation, but I am not sure if there are any ARM
boards that need this for whatever reason. If there are any, I would
expect them to be broken anyway since relocation was added, but I can't
be sure.

cu
Michael