[U-Boot] da850evm: u-boot does not start without UBL since commit f1d2b313c9eb6808d30c16a9eb5251240452a56c

Heiko Schocher hs at denx.de
Thu Jun 2 08:04:10 CEST 2011

Hello Christian,

Christian Riesch wrote:
> I have tried to run recent versions of u-boot on the da850evm (AM1808
> eXperimenter's Kit) board. Using Texas Instrument's User Boot Loader (UBL)
> to start u-boot (the default configuration for the EVM) everything works
> fine. However, if I try to get rid of this UBL (I don't need to voltage
> scaling features that it provides, so it's useless for me, just additional
> code that needs maintenance), I run into trouble.
>
> Instead of using UBL, I use AIS [1] to configure PLLs and mDDR timings.
> My AIS script is generated by the HexAIS tool [2], the settings in the
> input file of HexAIS are

Never used AIS, so I could not say much (I read also the
response from Ben, so just one more idea):

> [General]
> busWidth=8
> BootMode=SPIMASTER

Is this the same bootmode when using UBL?
By different bootmodes, the cpu inits different the
pinmux.

> crcCheckType=NO_CRC
> [PLLANDCLOCKCONFIG]
> PLL0CFG0 = 0x00180001
> PLL0CFG1 = 0x00000205
> PERIPHCLKCFG = 0x0000000a
> [EMIF3DDR]
> PLL1CFG0 = 0x15010001
> PLL1CFG1 = 0x00000002
> DDRPHYC1R = 0x000000C4
> SDCR = 0x0A034622
> SDTIMR = 0x184929C8
> SDTIMR2 = 0xB80FC700
> SDRCR = 0x00000406
> CLK2XSRC = 0x00000000
> [INPUTFILE]
> FILENAME=u-boot.bin
> LOADADDRESS=0xC1080000
> ENTRYPOINTADDRESS=0xC1080000
>
> While this configuration works fine for older versions of u-boot (like
> v2009.11), it fails with recent u-boot versions (no sign of life on the
> serial port). I have bisected down to the commits from
>
> commit f1d2b313c9eb6808d30c16a9eb5251240452a56c
> ARM: add relocation support

> commit ab86f72c354f9b2572340f72b74ca0a258c451bd
> ARM: implement relocation for ARM926

Maybe RAM init wrong? So RAM works not correct, or RAM size gets wrong
detected?

> Since these commits u-boot does not boot without the help of UBL. So I
> guess these commits require some additional initialization that is done
> by UBL, but not by my AIS.
>
> I have tried to figure out what I am missing, but without success so
> far.

I think, you need a debugger here, to find out, where u-boot
crashes (if it crashes), sorry!

bye,
Heiko