[U-Boot] Supporting SCCB protocol

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jun 7 00:26:30 CEST 2011

Dear John Tobias,

In message <BANLkTinn5oA711EuOELQeNRk2uYQ1N4+nw at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I am going to use the OTP register to put a unique ID of the board. In order
> to do that, I don't have to boot the OS if I need to read/write the unique
> ID of the board.
> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 2:12 PM, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
> > Could you please explain why this cannot be done in the OS driver
> > initialization code as well?

Well, this is obviously nowhere needed for U-Boot operation, and you
also don't need this in U-Boot to boot your OS.

See bullet # 2 at
http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/U-Boot/DesignPrinciples#2_Keep_it_Fast :
We don't initialize things in U-Boot, that are not needed here, unless
there is a very good reason for it.

In your case, such initialization should be done in the OS device
driver.  Leave it out of U-Boot.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Lots of folks confuse bad management with destiny.   -- Frank Hubbard