[U-Boot] newbie questions regarding some config options.

PHIL.EDWORTHY at renesas.com PHIL.EDWORTHY at renesas.com
Mon Jun 13 15:09:42 CEST 2011

Hi Christopher,

> What is the CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE variable and how can
>  I figure out what it should be?

U-boot is typically stored in flash and one of the first things it does when executed is relocate to ram. CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE is the relocation
address. Typically, u-boot global data, heap and then stack is stored just below this.

Since u-boot is used to load some other program like the kernel, you need the u-boot relocation address to be out of the way of this. So, for the
boards I have seen (not arm), CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE is set to the top of ram - 256KB, i.e. enough room for the u-boot image.

I am sure more experienced u-boot developers will correct me if I am wrong :)

Regards
Phil