[U-Boot] OpenRD Ultimate SATA & SD

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Thu Jun 16 12:19:20 CEST 2011

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 22:10:30 -0700, Prafulla Wadaskar <prafulla at marvell.com> wrote:

> [...]

What I'm using is very close to this:

  http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/u-boot.git;a=summary

which is, as mentioned, the upstream (i.e. as available from denx.de)
with debian patches added, the main effect of the patches being that one
can then build them as a package -- this used to make more of a
difference when we had a diff aimed at the OpenRD, but as you can see
that was dropped by Clint on 2011-05-21 when it was merged into the
upstream tree:

  Drop openrd-client-and-ultimate.diff (merged).

I've since pulled from git://git.denx.de/u-boot.git, and rebased the
Debian stuff, with my tiny patch added, as seen here:

  http://git.hands.com/u-boot

the Debian build system applies the quilt patches (that are in
./debian/patches) so to see what actually gets built, see:

  http://git.hands.com/?p=u-boot.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/patch-queue/master

which has a commit for each of those patches, as applied, tacked on
after the master branch.

Just to make sure it's not been fixed somehow, I've just recompiled that
without the last "fil-sata-kludge.diff" patch applied (my IRC nick is
'fil' BTW) and now it has now reverted to telling me this:

=-=-=-=-
Marvell>> ide reset

Reset IDE: ide_preinit failed
=-=-=-=-

so that diff is required to make SATA work in the setup I have on the
OpenRD Ultimate (internal SATA, no eSATA).

> For other one, u-boot.git (mainlined) SATA is functional, SD not yet
> supported.

OK, so as I said, SATA only works for me if I disable the probing of the
second SATA port in ide_preinit, as described here:

  http://git.hands.com/?p=u-boot.git;a=commit;h=142f614593c4738fdd9c466d33eb41ef16b6a6b1

As for SD, well, it claims to initialise:

Marvell>> mmc init
SDHC found. Card desciption is:
Manufacturer:       0x1e, OEM "AB"
Product name:       "USD  ", revision 1.0
Serial number:      93331321
Manufacturing date: 8/2010
CRC:                0x00, b0 = 0
mmc1 is available

and then in the past, doing any reading would make it lock up, but I
notice that the version I just built actually lets me boot from SD, so
it might be unsupported, but it works some of the time, at least.

I'll see if I can narrow down when it works for me, or not.

Cheers, Phil.