[U-Boot] SPL framework re-design

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jun 16 23:55:22 CEST 2011

Dear Aneesh V,

In message <4DFA0BE1.4060608 at ti.com> you wrote:

> In the last few mails Wolfgang was suggesting re-use of object files
> themselves, not the source files. In this respect his approach may be
> different from yours. But I think his objective was to avoid the
> symbolic link business, which this approach achieves.

We may do both.  Such files that will compile the same (i. e. where no
specific code changes are done depending on CONFIG_PRELOADER or other
settings) should re-use the existing object files. Allothers need to
be rebuild, obviously.

But this is optimization already, which should be done in a second
stage. I will not complain when we start with rebuilding all needed
objects.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes.
                                -- Dr. Warren Jackson, Director, UTCS