[U-Boot] Booting uncompressed uImages

David Peverley pev at sketchymonkey.com
Fri Jun 17 10:42:32 CEST 2011

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply.

> if it's uncompressed, why not simply load it to the final address in the first
> place ?  then bootm wont have to do any memcpy, it can simply jump to the
> entry point.
In our system we use a software update mechanism where the kernel +
initfs images reside in a 'package' in NAND which gets downloaded to
ram first by an initial loader so that it can be verified (CRC + a
cryptographic hash). This means that the sections containing the
kernel are already in RAM somewhere other than the load address...!
Admittedly, the mechanism could have been designed so that taking
headers into account the uImage was always at a known offset but this
wasn't the way it was designed unfortunately.

Cheers,

~Pev