[U-Boot] Nested Makefiles

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Jun 18 22:07:40 CEST 2011

Dear Rod Boyce,

In message <4DFCC7BC.7070509 at teamboyce.co.uk> you wrote:

> here.  I agree with what Amicalement has said so far.  As an example

You mean Albert.  "Amicalement" is French and means "best regards" ;-)

> A fragment from my common makefile system is this:
> # New improved verbose mode
> V ?= 0
> ifeq ($(V),1)
> NOOUT := > /dev/null
> else
> MAKEFLAGS += -s
> endif

I think it is a bit of overkill to introduce code just to set a plain
simple command option.

Instead of inventing new magic that needs to be documented we should
rather just use the standard make options directly, I stronly
prefer to use

	make -s

if no output is wanted (or rather run "./MAKEALL name" which already
does exactly that, and more).

> This means that I switch on silent make mode unless the developer add

I am not a friend of changinmg the default behaviour of standard
tools.  If someone wants silent operation, he should use the silent
flag.

> V=1 to the make command line and I add to the each rule a line similar to:
> @echo "Compiling : $(notdir $<)" $(NOOUT)
> or
> @echo "Link  app : $@" $(NOOUT)

It will not stay as simple - the whole trickery in the Linux makefiles
is there for some good reasons.  And don't think I want to have this
here.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Where there's no emotion, there's no motive for violence.
	-- Spock, "Dagger of the Mind", stardate 2715.1