[U-Boot] at91rm9200 linking problem (?)

Marcin Górski mkgorski at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 10:36:08 CEST 2011

Hello,

I'm trying to port U-Boot to ARM&EVA board (with AT92RM9200 cpu). I'm a little bit confused about usage of CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE macro. As mentioned many times before U-Boot shouldn't be run from RAM, so I set CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE to point a DataFlash memory. But when I do that not only .text section but also .data and .bss sections are linked to flash memory. When I run U-Boot I get "prefetch_abort" exception (which I believe is due to invalid memory location access). On the other hand, when I set  CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE to point to RAM location U-Boot hangs just after the start:

U-Boot> go 0x22000000
## Starting application at 0x22000000 ...

U-Boot 2011.03 (Jun 20 2011 - 00:56:19)

DRAM:  1 MiB

To load a new image I use an old version of U-Boot (1.1.6) that was previously installed on this board.  This is the very first time when I use U-Boot , any suggestion will be appreciated.
Best regards,
Marcin