[U-Boot] SPL framework re-design

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Jun 27 11:36:33 CEST 2011

Dear Aneesh,

In message <4E080733.2030001 at ti.com> you wrote:

> > I wonder why do we need this whole spl thing in the first place (well,
> > surely I know what they are used for but why do we need a separate entity
> > for this)? Isn't it just the same U-Boot in, well, very special configuration
> > (minimal set of drivers, no shell, etc)? Why do we need a whole shadow tree
> > at spl/ instead of just providing the _configuration_?
> >
> > Am I missing something?
>
> The reason is that the regular U-Boot is not configurable enough to
> build the extremely small images that should fit in internal RAM. The
> last time I attempted, I ended up getting an ~60KB image for
> OMAP4(that too without any of the hardware initialization I am adding
> in my SPL work).

This statement does not make much sense to me.  If we can do it in the
spl/ directory, we should be able to do it in any other directory as
well.  The worst to happen is that we have to keep two setsof object
files separated, but chosing a different suffix should be sufficient.

> BTW, John Rigby had sent out a series sometime back for OMAP3 NAND SPL.

Yes, but AFAIR he never followed up to the requested changes.

> That can be integrated with my work and we will get an SPL that
> supports both MMC and NAND. I guess Simon Schwarz is also doing some
> work lately on OMAP3.

OK, so we have all the more reason to do this thorougly now.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Applying computer technology is simply finding the  right  wrench  to
pound in the correct screw.