[U-Boot] SPL framework re-design

Daniel Schwierzeck daniel.schwierzeck at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 27 15:42:41 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 11:27 AM, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
> Dear Ilya,
>
> In message <loom.20110627T010402-587 at post.gmane.org> you wrote:
>>
>> I wonder why do we need this whole spl thing in the first place (well,
>> surely I know what they are used for but why do we need a separate entity
>> for this)? Isn't it just the same U-Boot in, well, very special configuration
>> (minimal set of drivers, no shell, etc)? Why do we need a whole shadow tree
>> at spl/ instead of just providing the _configuration_?

I guess that is because the discussion started with several
directories (nand_spl, mmc_spl etc.)
which should be merged into a single spl directory.

> Good point.  Eventually we can  just add additional build rules for
> new object files (say, ".splo" instead of ".o") ?

I agree this approach seems to be the best one.
But then we have to create SPL-specific libraries too, right?
(e.g. lib$(ARCH).splo, lib$(CPU).splo)

Best regards,
Daniel