[U-Boot] SPL framework re-design

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Jun 27 22:54:17 CEST 2011

Dear Scott Wood,

In message <20110627134205.021af180 at schlenkerla.am.freescale.net> you wrote:

> > This statement does not make much sense to me.  If we can do it in the
> > spl/ directory, we should be able to do it in any other directory as
> > well.  The worst to happen is that we have to keep two setsof object
> > files separated, but chosing a different suffix should be sufficient.
>
> We do it in the spl/ directory by bypassing the normal makefile
> config system, specifying a board-and-spl-specific list of objects instead.

We can provide such a "board-and-spl-specific list of objects" for the
spl code in the normal Makefiles as well.

> It could of course be done with the standard config system, but it will
> require that every bit of code in U-Boot be enabled only with a particular
> config option -- no "always on" code.  This would be a good thing anyway,
> but it will take some work to do it cleanly.  A first step would probably
> be a global "finegrained/small" flag that configs use to opt into the
> new system, but eventually all bits of functionality should have
> appropriate individual config symbols.

If we do it right, we will only build such objects in spl
configuration that are needed for the spl linking.  So we can start
with this finer control for spl initially, and then (later) extend it
for "normal" builds as well.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it.
                                                        - Oscar Wilde