[U-Boot] [RFC] Sort-of-poll about encoding for non-ASCII files

Andreas Bießmann andreas.devel at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 29 08:52:30 CEST 2011

Dear Albert Aribaud,

Am 29.06.2011 um 08:28 schrieb Albert ARIBAUD:

> All,

> This could go either way of course : converting ISO files to UTF or vice
> versa. The goal of this RFC is to gather the pros and cons on UTF-8 vs
> ISO-8859; then I'll issue a patch to normalize encodings according to
> the discussion (1).

+1 for UTF-8. If the chinese had invented the computer we would not have this discussion ...

For code plain ASCII could do the job. But since some of us have unusual characters in their names we do need a wider charset to display the names correctly.
Some time we will even have chinese output on console, at this time we would again discuss this question if we choose any ISO now (how about 8859-1 vs. 8859-15? ...).

regards

Andreas Bießmann