[U-Boot] more U-boot for Pentium

Raleigh Boulware r_boulware at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 30 04:08:13 CEST 2011

> Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 11:58:55 +1000
> Subject: Re: more U-boot for Pentium
> From: graeme.russ at gmail.com
> To: r_boulware at hotmail.com
> CC: u-boot at lists.denx.de
>
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 11:54 AM, Raleigh Boulware
> <r_boulware at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >> Hi Raleigh,

> >> Cache-As-RAM allows the CPU cache to be used as regular RAM while U-Boot
> >> is running from Flash before the onboard SDRAM has been initialised. This
> >> allows a temporary stack, and therefore C runtime environment to be
> >> created. This this allows you to write the SDRAM initialisation code in C
> >> which is a lot easier than assembler.
> >>
> > So this is pnly used if we want to setup the SDRAM controller in C code
>
> More that just that - It is used for the duration of board_init_f() which
> may include all manner of peripheral initialisation prior to relocating
> U-Boot into RAM.
Is it possible to just set up the DDR controller early in the process in assembler to avoid doing a Cache as ram? The reason I ask is because I might have trouble getting other mother boards to do this.

Als I was looking at 2 rutines. board_init_r()  and board_init_f(). It appears that the code goes from assmbler to this board_init_f() then back to assembler then to board_init_r(). I am not sure of the reason for this.