[U-Boot] uboot for MIPS: need help to skip relocate uboot and start uboot from RAM

Charles Krinke charles.krinke at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 16:27:47 CET 2011

Dear Pandurang:

Sounds like you have battling boot loaders going on, perhaps with the
Broadcom CFE (Common Firmware Environment) ?

Someone else may have some data on CONFIG_SKIP_RELOCATE_UBOOT, or you could
reflash your target and replace the existing bootloader with the U-Boot
bootloader so your bootloaders are not battling for the same resource.

Charles

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 2:08 AM, Pandurang Kale <kale.pandurang at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> We have MIPS based development board and I am trying to get the uboot up
> and
> running on it.
> We have a primary bootloader which check for the valid mod-image stored on
> the flash. This mod-image consist of header, uboot and linux kernel.
> Depending on the recent, active and stable imagethe primary bootloader
> first
> copies the uboot image. and later on we would copy the kernel image from
> uboot.
>
> But when primary bootloader copies the uboot image to the RAM and passes
> the
> control to the uboot, uboot (MIPS version of start.S and
> arch/mips/lib/borad.c) tries to relocate the
> already copied image from RAM (the primary bootloader copied it to start of
> the RAM+1MB address) to top of the RAM (0x87fc0000) region thinking that
> the
> uboot image is stored in flash.
>
> All I need to do is skip the uboot relocate code in MIPS version of uboot
> startup as the primary bootloader has already relocated the uboot from
> Flash
> to RAM and set up the stack pointer and other global data appropriately,
> which it does after relocation.
> I can see there is a switch for ARM processor, CONFIG_SKIP_RELOCATE_UBOOT,
> which skips the relocation of uboot code and tries to run the uboot from
> RAM. I
> cannot see a similar switch implemented for MIPS and didnt find any related
> thread anywhere in mailing list or on net.
>
> Do we have similar ARM like switch to SKIP the RELOCATION? If not has
> anyone
> done this before?
>
> I would really appreciate if you can guide me to overcome this issue to run
> the uboot cleanly skipping the relocation.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Pandu

Charles Krinke