[U-Boot] uboot for MIPS: need help to skip relocate uboot and start uboot from RAM

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Mar 4 00:11:50 CET 2011

Dear Pandurang Kale,

In message <AANLkTikLJzuCSwOhMLz2sWy1j9a3LiV8zzY6=TjTfnrR at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> But when primary bootloader copies the uboot image to the RAM and passes the
> control to the uboot, uboot (MIPS version of start.S and
> arch/mips/lib/borad.c) tries to relocate the
> already copied image from RAM (the primary bootloader copied it to start of
> the RAM+1MB address) to top of the RAM (0x87fc0000) region thinking that the
> uboot image is stored in flash.

U-Boot does not "think" it is stored in flash - this is what you
configured.  If you know you're always loading it to a fixed RAM
address, you can use this as reference for TEXT_BASE instead.

> All I need to do is skip the uboot relocate code in MIPS version of uboot

No, you do NOT want to do thjat, as it would cripple U-Boot and remove
basic functionality from it.

> I can see there is a switch for ARM processor, CONFIG_SKIP_RELOCATE_UBOOT,

Are you looking at recent code and working boards?

> I would really appreciate if you can guide me to overcome this issue to run
> the uboot cleanly skipping the relocation.

Do do not want to skip relocation.  U-Boot may need to auto-adjust
it's start address dynamically, depending on configuration, system
requirements and/or environment settings.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
If God wanted me to touch my toes, he'd have put them on my knees.