[U-Boot] uboot for MIPS: need help to skip relocate uboot and start uboot from RAM

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Mar 4 07:23:11 CET 2011

Dear Pandurang Kale,

In message <AANLkTinTqxJPU9Gwye_8pT2PcUxR8E36=zm78ypc1740 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> For MIPS I do not find the TEXT_BASE symbol, there is SYS_CFG_MONITOR_BASE

Please check again. MIPS uses CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE like all other
architectures.

> which it uses to relocate the code from the define symbol to high RAM
> address. how can I avoid this?  As I see we have a switch defined for ARM,

You should not try to avoid this.  It is a useful feature, even if you
load U-Boot to RAM separately.

You did not understand what I wrote:

> > > I can see there is a switch for ARM processor,
> > CONFIG_SKIP_RELOCATE_UBOOT,
> >
> > Are you looking at recent code and working boards?
> >
> I have recent uboot code for MIPS and I cant find any similar switch for
> MIPS codebase. arch/mips/lib/board.c and arch/mips/cpu/start.S

I meant: do you see CONFIG_SKIP_RELOCATE_UBOOT in recent ARM code, on
working (compilable) ARM boards?

> > Do do not want to skip relocation.  U-Boot may need to auto-adjust
> > it's start address dynamically, depending on configuration, system
> > requirements and/or environment settings.
> >
> The uboot is already loaded in the RAM (by the primary boot loader) so I
> dont want uboot to again relocate itself from one location of RAM to its
> predefined high-memory region in RAM which I have explained in my first
> mail.

Please re-read what I wrote.  In general, U-Boot's load address cannot
be determined at compile time, at least not without crippeling it from
some interesting features.  You should really not try doing things
differently to everybody else.  We had similar discussins not so long
ago for AMR, so please just re-read this in the archives.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de