[U-Boot] Marvell 88E1111S phy autosense

Rick Ramstetter rick.ramstetter at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 23:09:14 CET 2011

Hello all,

I am seeing a strange behavior regarding the Marvell 88E1111S in U-boot. In
drivers/net/tsec.c, tsec_local_mdio_read() [aliased as  read_phy_reg()]
seems to be grabbing the value of miimstat before the phy is actually ready.
This results in my board's phy being sensed as "generic" type.

I have introduced code in drivers/net/tsec.c get_phy_info() to [1] retry the
call to read_phy_reg() until the type sensed is not "generic" and [2]
introduce a delay of 300000 nops+syncs (on an 800mhz core) between each
iteration. Consistently the phy is properly detected on the 20th such
iteration.

I have a nearly identical board with a non-Marvell phy and I am *not* seeing
this issue on that board.

Does anyone have any insight into what might be going on?

Affected U-boot versions are 2009.11 and 2010.12

Thanks you,
-Rick R.

--
J. Rick Ramstetter