[U-Boot] fw_printenv cross compilation issue

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Mar 14 14:39:59 CET 2011

Dear Elie De Brauwer,

In message <4D7E14ED.1050500 at gmail.com> you wrote:

> I tried crosscompiling fw_printenv lately (on 2011.03 RC1) but I kept
> ending with a natively compiled version of fw_printenv. When looking at
> the tools/env/Makefile I saw it was using $(HOSTCC) and friends, basicly
> ever since:
> http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=commitdiff;h=abd315a1357ab05e82f0d61ebad666bc0d5378c3
>
> Is there a rationale for this ? Just reverting this change to
> http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=blob;f=tools/env/Makefile;hb=78acc472d9719316f22e002a009a998d9ceec29d
>
> Makes building a crosscompiled fw_printenv possible again.

There is a rationale for that, and Mike Frisinger explained it when
this patch was being discussed, and later again.  Please see the
archives.

I have to admit that I share your confusion, but even rational is
relative ;-)

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
A stone was placed at a ford in a river with the inscription:
"When this stone is covered it is dangerous to ford here."