[U-Boot] NAND on Davinci boards

Stefano Babic sbabic at denx.de
Wed Mar 16 18:24:23 CET 2011

On 03/16/2011 03:44 PM, Stefano Babic wrote:
> Sure. I will inform you about my progresses (if any...).

Solved. It was a misunderstanding about how to set up the NAND driver in
linux. I think the usage of the "id" field in the platform device can
confuse, as it did for me. I thought the id was used only as index for
multiple devices, but the driver takes it as chipselect, even if the
value of the chip select itself could be derived from the resource
structure.

And then, the value of the chip select is used by the driver to enable
the ECC, and as I passed the wrong chip select, the hw ecc was disabled.
Even if I could correctly write/read the NAND under Linux.

I have checked the two drivers and I went to the conclusion that they
are fully compatible. They do exactly the same things and in the same
sequence, no problem at all.

My problem was caused by the fact I have set up the device platform with
"id = 1", and this is translate by the driver as chip select = 3.
However, on my board chip select 2 is used ;-(

Ben, I have already tested writing from linux, and u-boot can now read
the partition correctly. I think there is no incompatibility problem
with the mainline kernel.

Best regards,
Stefano Babic

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de