[U-Boot] Q: nand usage

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Mar 18 19:42:50 CET 2011

Dear ran shalit,

In message <31183736.post at talk.nabble.com> you wrote:

> I think my question was not very well expressed. I ment to ask about the
> mapping of the partitions inside the NAND: Does each partitions need some
> spare blocks (padding block) becuase of the bad block skipping in the Nand ?
> As I said, I did not find any information about the strategy of mapping
> partitions in the Nand.

As you are talking about partitions, I assume you refert to the MTD
partitioning.  In this case the bad block handling needs to be done in
by the file system code, when you create a file system insinde one of
the partitions.

[Note that this differs from UBI, where bad block handling is done for
the whole device, independent of the volumes that you create on top of
it.]

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
When you die, the first thing you lose is your life. The  next  thing
is the illusions.                       - Terry Pratchett, _Pyramids_