[U-Boot] Booting kernel from NAND flash on AT91SAM9 custom board using fsload

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Mar 29 23:05:17 CEST 2011

Dear Nicholas Kinar,

In message <4D92428E.6030503 at usask.ca> you wrote:

> (1) Does replacing jffs2_1pass.c with jffs2_nand_1pass.c in the fs/jffs2
> directory influence the robustness of the fsload code?

JFFS2 is more or less deprecated these days.  FOr new projects, we
recommend to use UBI/ UBIFS instead.

> (2) Does it take a long time to load the Linux kernel from a JFFS2
> filesystem on NAND flash using the fsload command (i.e.

JFFS2 has always been slow, especially when mounting larger file
systems.  This is one of the resons we recommend UBIFS instead.

> or has this been cleaned up in the current u-boot-2010.09 code?

v2010.09 is in no way "current".  The latest release available at this
moment is v2010.12, and v2011.03 is a mere few days aways.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
It seems intuitively obvious to me, which  means  that  it  might  be
wrong.                                                 -- Chris Torek