[U-Boot] Booting kernel from NAND flash on AT91SAM9 custom board using fsload

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Mar 30 10:54:26 CEST 2011

Dear Joakim Tjernlund,

In message <OFA7DEB7BE.7D093C64-ONC1257863.0027BEFD-C1257863.00281994 at transmode.se> you wrote:

> JFFS2 deprecated? It is very stable and works well for NOR based filesystems.

Yes, we consider it deprecated, and we do not use it in any new
projects / products.

> Do you use UBIFS for NOR as well these days?

Yes, we do.  [And yes, we know about the problems it has in certain
configurations, but 1) these are pretty rare these days and 2) we are
working on fixes.]

> > JFFS2 has always been slow, especially when mounting larger file
> > systems.  This is one of the resons we recommend UBIFS instead.
>
> The u-boot impl. is a bad version of the one in linux. The u-boot
> version should be rewritten/fixed to match current Linux.

Patches welcome.

Nevertheless, the Linux mount times for JFFS2 are still slower than
UBIFS times, aren't they?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"A fractal is by definition a set for which the Hausdorff Besicovitch
dimension strictly exceeds the topological dimension."
- Mandelbrot, _The Fractal Geometry of Nature_