[U-Boot] [RFC 0/7] Universal PHY Infrastructure

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Wed Mar 30 14:06:12 CEST 2011

Hi Andy,

> Or PHY Lib for U-Boot.
>
> This sequence of patches adds infrastructure for universally-available PHY
> drivers (and MDIO drivers).  It piggy-backs on the existing miiphy code, for
> backwards compatibility, but it also creates a new set of APIs. This was
> necessary partly to provide cleaner interfaces for more robust driver
> support, and partly because one goal was to support 10G (802.3 Clause 45) MDIO
> buses, which has an extra argument for addressing PHY registers.
>
> The first three patches clear the way, and are in this sequence mostly
> because the tsec changes depend on them.
>
> Special thanks goes to Mingkai Hu, who did a substantial amount
> of work up front to convert the tsec PHY code into something more usable,
> which I have mostly copied for the purposes of PHY Lib.
>
> As the subject says, these are submitted here for comment.  I hope they
> will go in for the presumptive June release.
>
> Andy Fleming (5):
>   Remove instances of phy_read/write
>   Create PHY Lib for U-Boot
>   Add mdio command for new PHY infrastructure
>   phylib: Add a bunch of PHY drivers from tsec
>   tsec: Convert tsec to use PHY Lib
>
> Mingkai Hu (2):
>   tsec: use IO accessories to access the register
>   tsec: arrange the code to avoid useless function declaration

Thanks for this extensive work!  Still the whole series has checkpatch
problems, so please clean them up:

total: 29 errors, 95 warnings, 7792 lines checked

Some of them can be ignored, but some like this really need fixing:

ERROR: trailing statements should be on next line
#206: FILE: drivers/net/tsec.c:243:
+	while ((in_be32(&phyregs->miimind) & MIIMIND_BUSY) && timeout--) ;

Cheers
  Detlev

--
Emacs seems a more likely candidate  to contain a mail system than the
mail system to contain an Emacs, so this is the way it was done.