[U-Boot] PPC405EX CHIP_21 erratum

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Mon May 2 13:50:42 CEST 2011

Hi Steve,

On Friday 29 April 2011 18:54:02 Steven A. Falco wrote:
> We've been bitten by the PPC405EX CHIP_21 erratum.

How did it affect you exactly? Was an incorrect PVR detected? Did this result
in some problems (Linux etc)?

> I've looked through the
> U-Boot code, but it doesn't appear that there is a work-around for this
> one.

Correct, there currently is no workaround.

> The following patch is my adaptation of AMCC's suggestion as to the fix.
> But I have to say that I don't care for it, if for no other reason that it
> will break if a rev E comes out.
>
> Also, I made it #ifdef'd on CONFIG_405EX, but it will not work on a 405EXr.
> And I have seen a 405EX report its PVR as if it were a 405EXr.  It's not
> looking good for the suggested work-around.
>
> AMCC claims this can be fixed in hardware, by always doing a double reset.
> Naturally, that is hard to implement and would mean massive rework of
> existing boards.

Yes, there are many 405EX(r) boards in the field already. Such an hardware
workaround should really be avoided if possible.

> So I am contemplating a different work-around, whereby software always
> resets the board on a cold boot (if such a thing can be reliably
> detected).  That would hopefully be the equivalent of the hardware double
> reset, and would not be dependent on specific PVR values, making it more
> "future proof".
>
> Has anyone else run across this?  Do you have similar concerns about the
> patch?

No, I have not seen this problem before. And yes, I would also prefer your
"alternative suggestion", with the always reboot after powerup optionally
built into the U-Boot image. But as you already mentioned, we would have to
find a way to reliably detect the powerup reset, so that we don't end in an
reset-loop.

Cheers,
Stefan

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-0 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: office at denx.de