[U-Boot] boot-up time optimization. Where to start?

Stefano Babic sbabic at denx.de
Tue May 3 10:08:44 CEST 2011

On 05/03/2011 08:48 AM, Alexander Stein wrote:

Hi Alexander,

> Am Montag, 2. Mai 2011, 19:00:47 schrieb Wolfgang Denk:
>> In message <201105021640.27241.alexander.stein at systec-electronic.com> you
> wrote:
>>> Ok, let me be more precise on this.
>>> We used U-Boot v2010.09 on a custom board running on an I.MX35 (ARM1136).

The i.MX35 is supported in u-boot mainline. As I can suppose, you start
from the mx35pdk to port your code, probably you have good chances to
use the last u-boot code. And then to send patches for your board,
too... ;-)

>> 2. This is an ARM board.
>>
>> 3. This is an old version before cache support for ARM was added.
>
> This specific version was selected due to relocation problems on ARM.

The mx35pdk board is supported in u-boot mainline using relocation.

> expect the dcache doesn't have that big influence on the named code part as
> the environment is already in RAM.

Check in the mailing list, the numbers reported by people who measured
the influence of cache say there is a big difference, specially when big
chunks of code is copied, that is copying the kernel from storage before
booting.

Best regards,
Stefano Babic

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de