[U-Boot] u-boot on x86 reloaded

Rudolf Marek r.marek at assembler.cz
Wed May 4 10:54:15 CEST 2011

Hello,

I was asked to post it here too.

I would like to announce that I was able to boot Linux using u-boot on AMD64
motherboard Asrock 939A785G. The development was done on QEMU.

How does it work?

Coreboot does the complete HW init including memory setup PCI etc. When finishes
it loads u-boot.

Coreboot is free software replacement for BIOS, but unlike BIOS it only does the
hardware init (and ACPI). A payload needs to be executed which does something
useful for the user (like a linux kernel, SeaBIOS, FILO, grub etc)

You can read more about coreboot on http://coreboot.org

How the porting was done is described here:

http://blogs.coreboot.org/blog/2011/04/30/u-boot-as-coreboot-payload/

http://www.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2011-April/064877.html
http://www.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2011-May/064914.html
http://www.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2011-May/064915.html

And boot log http://assembler.cz/minicom42.txt

This project started "just for fun" or "because I can". Maybe there are some
real uses. If you can think of some, please let me know.

Anyone with more free time could work on this?

I'm not subscribed, please cc me. I'm ccing coreboot mailing list too.

Thanks,
Rudolf