[U-Boot] [coreboot] U-Boot-x86 / coreboot Integration

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed May 11 08:51:10 CEST 2011

Dear Kevin O'Connor,

In message <20110511035148.GA14339 at morn.localdomain> you wrote:

> > And what about all those Linux drivers in drivers/video - Would porting
> > them (to U-Boot) elliminate the need for BIOS/Option ROMs
>
> I'm not really sure - I'd guess it will vary significantly from card
> to card and driver to driver.

Indeed.

> I'm pretty sure you need to run the VGA option ROM if you want the
> legacy text console mode.  However, some of the Linux/X11 drivers will
> likely be able to get the card into graphics mode without running the
> option ROM.

Usually you have to run the ROM init code; on many cards this is
needed for example to initialize the video RAM (well known problem,
isn't it?). Guess why the code in drivers/bios_emulator is needed in
U-Boot ?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The human mind ordinarily operates at only ten percent of its capaci-
ty - the rest is overhead for the operating system.