[U-Boot] ACER n310 NAND write protection issue

fcipaq daniel.kammer at web.de
Wed May 11 10:29:06 CEST 2011

Hey everyone,

I've got an ACER n310 (n300 series). It features a s3c2440 running at 300
MHz, 64 MB SDRAM and 128 MB NAND ROM (it's Samsung k9f1g08). It's not
equipped with any NOR-Flash. Apart from that it's got quite a similar
configuration as FriendlyARM's Mini2440.
I downloaded the sources of u-boot and configured it according to my PDA's
hardware. So far, u-boot is running and I'm able to read the whole
NAND-Flash. But when I'm trying to unlock the NAND-Flash, I get the
following error message:

  n310 # nand unlock

  device 0 whole chip

  nand_unlock: start: 00000000, length: 134217728!

  nand_unlock: Device is write protected!

  Error unlocking NAND flash, write and erase will probably fail

What I conclude from that is: the (NOT)WP-Pin is set to ground. The Mini2440
is not effected by this kind of issue as (according to the schematics) the
(NOT)WP-Pin is connected to VCC.
However there must be a way to toggle this pin, as the original
ACER-bootloader and WM5 respectively are able to write to the flash.
Any ideas how to cancel the write protection or how to figure out what pin
is connected to WP (schematics are not available)?
Thanks in advance and best regards

Daniel