[U-Boot] [RFC] Review of U-Boot timer API

Graeme Russ graeme.russ at gmail.com
Mon May 23 12:53:26 CEST 2011

On 23/05/11 16:29, Albert ARIBAUD wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Sorry, could not follow the discussion although I find it very
> interesting, so I will handle the task of coming in late and asking the
> silly questions.
>
> Le 23/05/2011 07:25, Graeme Russ a écrit :
>
>> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 3:02 PM, J. William Campbell
>> <jwilliamcampbell at comcast.net>  wrote:

> Are you sure you did not mean 'get_raw_ticks_rate' here? Besides, I'd

Yes, I did mean get_raw_ticks_rate()

> like the name to specify the units used: 'get_raw_ticks_rate_in_khz' (or
> conversively 'get_raw_ticks_per_ms', depending on which is simpler to
> implement and use).

indeed, get_raw_ticks_per_ms() is a better name

> That's to keep track of get_raw_ticks() rollovers, right? And then the

Yes

> get_timer function (which, again, I would prefer to have '... in ms'
> expressed in its name) would call get_raw_ticks() in confidence that at
> most one rollover may have occurred since the last time the helper
> function was called, so a simple difference of the current vs last tick
> value will always be correct.

Correct - And a change to get_ms_timer() could be in order if generally
supported, but this would be a big patch across a lot of code for a simple
rename

>>> Hi All,
>>>       Graeme, I think you have stated exactly what is the "best" approach to
>>> this problem.  I will provide a version of "get_raw_ms" that is  initialized
>>> using get_raw_tick_rate that will work for all "reasonable" values of
>>> raw_tick_rate. This will be the "generic" solution. Both the initialization
>>> function and the get_raw_ms function can be overridden if there is reason to
>>> do so, like "exact" clock rates. I will do the same with get_raw_us. This
>>> will be posted sometime on Monday for people to review, and to make sure I
>>> didn't get too far off base. Thank you to both Graeme and Reinhard for
>>> looking at/working on this.. Hopefully, this solution will put this timing
>>> issue to rest for all future ports as well as the presently existing ones.
>
> In Greame's description, I did not see a get_raw_ms, only a get_raw_us.
> Was this last one a typo or is that a third HAL function?

get_raw_ms() is used by get_timer(). get_raw_us() is an optional function
which can be used for performance profiling

>> Great - I am in the middle of cleaning up the current usages of the timer
>> API, reducing it all down to get_timer() - I will then 'libify'
>> get_timer() and setup the hooks into the HAL get_raw_ticks() and
>> get_raw_tick_rate() API
>>
>> I think there will need to be a lot of cleanup, especially in arch/arm to
>> get this to all fit
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Graeme
>
> Amicalement,