[U-Boot] [RFC] Review of U-Boot timer API

Scott McNutt smcnutt at psyent.com
Tue May 24 15:29:01 CEST 2011

Graeme Russ wrote:
> Dear Reinhard,
>
> On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 3:31 PM, Reinhard Meyer
> <u-boot at emk-elektronik.de> wrote:
>> I know its futile to repeat what I suggested about 9 months ago...
>>
>> Since get_timer() is only used (to my knowledge) to break out of
>> loops that do not terminate normally because an expected event does
>> not occur, the following API would be simpler and take less time per
>> loop:

> Elegant and simple but precludes using get_timer() to perform any
> meaningful time measurement

Why must get_timer() be used to perform "meaningful time measurement?"

If all of this is about time measurement, why not start with your dream
time measurement API, and go from there? And make it an optional
feature.

If the existing API, that has been used successfully for years,
primarily as a mechanism for detecting a time-out, has issues,
then let's resolve _those_ issues and avoid the "car-boat" ... the
vehicle that floats like a car and handles like a boat. ;-)

Regards,
--Scott