[U-Boot] [RFC] Review of U-Boot timer API

J. William Campbell jwilliamcampbell at comcast.net
Tue May 24 20:59:01 CEST 2011

On 5/24/2011 9:51 AM, Graeme Russ wrote:
> On 25/05/11 00:19, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> =============
<snip>
Hi all,
         I have a few of questions.
First, it seems that the get_timer interface is expected to work
properly only after relocation and only when bss is available. I say
this because the PPC version uses an (initialized) variable, timestamp,
to hold the time. If that is the case, there is no need to hold the
timer static data in gd, as I have been doing up to  now. Am I correct ?
      Second, udelay is expected to be available before  bss is
available, very early in the startup process. There a comments to that
effect in several places in the code. Therefore, udelay cannot use
global or static variables. Is this true?
     And third, udelay is only expected/required to work correctly for
"short", like say 10 seconds. I say this based on comments contained in
powerpr/lib/time.c. Please ack or nak this as well.

I have a couple of "small" changes to the previously submitted code,
based partly on the above
> Exposing ticks and tick_frequency to everyone via a 'tick' HAL
>
> In /lib/timer.c

ulong timestamp = 0;
/*
      This routine is called to initialize the timer after BSS is available
*/
void  __weak prescaler_init(void)
{
     u32 tick_frequency = get_tick_frequency();
      /* initialize prescaler variables */
}

> void __weak prescaler(void)
> {
> 	u32 ticks = get_ticks();
                     /* Bill's algorithm */
                    /* result stored in timestamp; */
> }
>
> u32 get_timer(u32 base)
> {
#if defined(CONFIG_SYS_NEED_PRESCALER)
> 	prescaler();
#endif
> 	return timestamp - base;
> }
>
> In /arch/cpu/soc/timer.c or /arch/cpu/timer.c or /board/<board>/timer.c
>
> u32 get_ticks(void)
> {
> 	u32 ticks;
>
> 	/* Get ticks from hardware counter */
>
> 	return ticks;
> }
>
> u32 get_tick_frequency(void)
> {
> 	u32 tick_frequency;
>
> 	/* Determine tick frequency - likely very trivial */
>
> 	return tick_frequency;
> }
or instead the user may override prescaler_init and prescaler if, for
some reason, a highly optimized version is desired. Note also that if
the configuration variable CONFIG_SYS_NEED_PRESCALER is not defined, the
additional prescaler routines will not be called anywhere so the
routines should not be loaded. Yes, it it a #define to manage, but it
should allow the existing u-boots to be the same size as before, with no
unused code. This size matters to some people a lot!