[U-Boot] [RFC] Review of U-Boot timer API

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed May 25 14:26:15 CEST 2011

Dear Graeme Russ,

In message <4DDCED75.8030906 at gmail.com> you wrote:

> > The "tick counter" is already in the higher level, i. e. implemented
> > in software, without any hardware based registers.

> Now every time get_timer() is called, the prescaler updates the timer from
> the current tick count - This cannot fail if interrupts are inadvertently
> disabled.

Arghh... But in this szenario, if interrupts are disabled, then the
ISR will not run, so the tick count will not be incremented BECAUSE
THE TICK COUNTER IS A VARIABLE THAT GETS INCREMENTED BY ONE EACH TIME
THE ISR RUNS.  So your prescaler will read a constant value.

Sorry for shouting, but I feel either you are not listening to me or I
cannot make myself understood to you.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Violence in reality is quite different from theory.
	-- Spock, "The Cloud Minders", stardate 5818.4