[U-Boot] [RFC] Review of U-Boot timer API

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed May 25 23:16:02 CEST 2011

Dear Graeme Russ,

In message <4DDD7066.4000505 at gmail.com> you wrote:

> > No, not at all. And I already answered this. For example on PPC, just
> > reading the timebase would be perfectly sufficient, and simpler and
> > more reliable than the current interrupt based approach.
>
> I assume by 'timebase' you mean the 64-bit tick counter. If so, that is

By timebase I mean the timebase register, implemented as two 32 bit
registers tbu and tbl, holding the upper and the lower 32 bits of the
free-running 64 bit counter, respective.

> _exactly_ what I am suggesting we do (and what does already happen on ARM).

I don't think so.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"...this does not mean that some of us should not want, in  a  rather
dispassionate sort of way, to put a bullet through csh's head."
                   - Larry Wall in <1992Aug6.221512.5963 at netlabs.com>