[U-Boot] [RFC][Timer API] Revised Specification - Implementation details

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu May 26 19:53:40 CEST 2011

Dear "J. William Campbell",

In message <4DDE8639.3090909 at comcast.net> you wrote:

> I think it is the task of get_ticks to return the hardware tick counter
> as an  increasing counter, period.  The counter may wrap at some final
> count that is not all ones. That is ok. Sync_timebase deals with the

NO!  We want to be able to compute time differences using simple
unsigned arithmentics, even after a rollover of the counter.  For this
it is mandatory that the counter always gets only incremented until it
wraps around at te end of it's number range, and never gets reset
before.

> You will have to call the routine that initializes sync_timebase. This
> routine should have a name, like void init_sync_timebase(void)?

init_timebase().

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Behind every great man, there is a woman -- urging him on.
	-- Harry Mudd, "I, Mudd", stardate 4513.3